Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Purple Turtle


Address:

85 E State Rd.
Pleasant Grove, UT 84062

Price Range:

Under $10 per combo meal

The Purple Turtle. I'd been wondering about this place ever since I had moved to and away from Pleasant Grove. We finally found an afternoon to go. I know my posts have been rather gooey and lovey-dovey about almost all the restaurants I've tried. I've been lucky to get a bunch of restaurants that I particularly tickled my tastebuds. I'm not going to say that The Purple Turtle wasn't good because I only ate their once, but it may not be a place I choose to go to again for a burger. I may be tempted to try their fish and chips.

It's basically a fast food place/drive in. Expectations shouldn't be high because of such, but for the price, I would say they were definitely a little higher than if i were to go to McDonalds.

Menu:

The Mile High: A 1/4 pound patty with American Cheese and your choice of ham or bacon. Craig went with ham. The ham really completed the burger and added a saltiness I think it needed. He got the plain fries which were just your run of the mill shoestring fries. My opinion about the fries were that they were a little greasier than I was comfortable with, but still tasted like fries. Actually they tasted a little like McDonald fries if I recall, so if you're a fan of McDonalds fries, this is the place for you...other than McDonalds. Craig's opinion was that they were a too salty, which I do see his point. Since they're shoestring and not regular cut fries, there's more surface area than potato so a little salt would have gone a long way. Craig also said that there was a little too much ketchup but the bites that didn't include ketchup were good.


Super Deluxe Cheese: My burger was basically The Mile High, except ham/bacon-less. What I could taste of the burger seemed delicious. I was a hungry girl when we got to the restaurant so I was looking forward to having some food in my belly. Unfortunately, they put way too much ketchup on my burger. I mean, it was literally dripping from my burger. This caused my burger to taste strongly of vinegar. I'm not a huge fan of lots of ketchup, but if you are, this is the burger for you. I also got the sweet potato fries. They were not that remarkable (don't get me wrong, sweet potato fries are delicious) but if I could change some things I would say more salt and a little crispier, they were almost a little too soft. And finally the fry sauce. I'm not from Utah or Idaho so I had never heard of fry sauce until I moved to Utah. Since then I have been to many restaurants with different variations on fry sauce all of which have been delicious in some form or another. The Purple Turtle's fry sauce is not my favorite. It tastes strongly of onions and mayonnaise which I suspect it is, we added a little ketchup to it and that seemed to help. All-in-all, not my favorite fry sauce.


I was bound to run into a restaurant that I wasn't too impressed with. I'm hoping that I am wrong and whenever I go back there I will find something to my liking. The service was a little friendlier than what you would find at a fast food restaurant but not to the point where it really made a difference. I did mention to our cashier that we had never been there and she didn't really seem to care and seemed a bit reluctant to interact with us, but what can you expect from a fast food restaurant. So this isn't a bad review, this is just a review where I am not as impressed with the food as I've been at other places. If you try it and find something good, let me know, I would love to be wrong!



0 comments: