Saturday, February 11, 2012

Smashburger


Address:


542 E. University Parkway
Orem, UT 84097

Price Range:


$5-$10 per meal

Website

So we went as a family to Smashburger because I had heard so many good things about it. Craig had been there before but I'd never tried it so off to Smashburger I went in hopes of a good burger.

Menu:


Classic With Cheese: This was my burger it was obviously a handmade burger which is respectable. The toppings were fresh and the cheese was not burnt onto the patty which is easy to do when things are assembled so. They also had their signature Smash sauce which was ok. I don't remember it being a truly noteworthy burger. It was pretty standard and the Smash sauce is what I really think makes it its own burger. Onto the fries. I'd heard a lot of hype about these fries and how fantastic they were so I was excited to try them. Honestly, and I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of flak about this, I wasn't the biggest fan of them. They were definitely different which makes them special, however I wasn't the biggest fan of the rosemary and olive oil. I tried dipping them in the side of Smash sauce we got with them and they tasted a little better, but not noteworthy. If anyone is severely scarred or offended by this, I apologize but to each their own.



Beehive Burger: This is the burger Craig ordered which is the burger he gets every time he goes to Smashburger. This burger was more noteworthy. It had haystack cheddar cheese, onions, and applewood smoked bacon with honey bbq sauce as it's moistening agent. I definitely remember it tasting more warm and comfort-food-like. It was definitely a messy burger which can be a good thing. In this case it was. The sauce was indeed delicious to lick off your fingers and the onions provided a very appropriate crunch. Craig also got the Smash fries so we won't go back to that description (I don't want to lose anymore readers).



Children's Plain Cheeseburger: Lucas got a plain cheeseburger. He loves plain cheeseburgers. This one was a little big so I would suggest maybe getting this burger for a child over the age of five. He ate almost half of it and got full. Craig and I helped him finish it off and for a child's burger, it was pretty good. It didn't have anything special on it, just a burger with cheese on an egg bun, but I really enjoyed how the burger tasted on its own. This is a rare occasion since most places try and cover the hamburger flavor with a bunch of sauces and toppings. An oldie but a goodie.



The interior was nice and clean. The service, despite being more fast food-esqe, was very prompt and extremely friendly. They were helpful when I had questions and the lady that brought us our food was super nice to Lucas. I think for the type of burger you're getting that it's a little expensive. Another burger restaurant I can think to compare it to is Red Robin. Same basic quality of burger and similar price range, however, with Red Robin you get a wider selection of burgers, bottomless fries, and more than one fry sauce to choose from. So I guess if someone asked if I wanted to go to Smashburger or Red Robin, I would say Red Robin. 




2 comments:

Ann said...

Andy definitely thinks the smash fries used to taste a lot better. They were so good when they first opened, but something's changed. Andy also wanted me to say, and I quote, "Next time get the Beehive burger and switch out the cheddar for blue cheese and it will blow your effing mind." (as opposed to just your regular mind.) I apologize. He made me say it.
Love the blog. Keep it up. We should go out together sometime.

Cassie said...

i hate smashburger and their fries! i was disappointed.